I turned the crank disks partly in the three-jaw and partly on a
nutted mandrel. A straightforward job.
The crosshead guides on the 110 are pretty simple, except that the
sides are supposed to be angled inward toward the top. It took an odd
setup to do this. I couldn't think of a better way at the time, and
it worked out okay. Still, I'll probably do it differently next time
I didn't know, when I started, how many diddly little operations would
be needed to finish the cylinder castings. Here are some pictures of
the semifinished castings with associated parts (covers, steam chests,
I wasn't sure of the best way to hold the flywheel for turning. I
ended up using chuck, faceplate and taper mandrel to finish the job.
The cylinder cover castings seem easy but were actually a pain to
machine. They're thin and were chilled almost all the way through, so
they were hard to cut.
I made the piston rings from cast iron bar stock.
Here are groups of engine parts in an almost-finished state. The
pictures were taken shortly before trial assembly.